3192 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says
Since you don’t need to support ie6 anymore I guess its ok to use html5 elements…
If I remember correctly IE7 doesn’t understand HTML5 tags without creating those elements with JavaScript. Am I right? I tested those a while ago and I might be wrong about that.

http://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/ :)

http://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/ :) it works for ie6,7, and 8. plus it fixes somethings too like multiple classes

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
VisualSharing says
http://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/

I think you need to read my previous post again and then read the title of this very thread. I know how to make IE render HTML5 tags with js. Thanks. :)

By the way CMT you asked that 6 months ago and Jarel gave you the “official” answer http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/are-we-allowed-to-use-html5-on-templates/23732?page=1#219078

I remember that perfectly, 6 months ago there wasn’t a thread named “[Authors] JavaScript Fallback functionality”. :)

http://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/ it works for ie6,7, and 8. plus it fixes somethings too like multiple classes

Read the title of this very thread. :)

751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
CyberShot says

what do you mean “Poor coding”? What is your idea of poor coding? For example. there are lots of ways to code something. There can be 3 or more ways to code anything is any language, but if all three of them work, what is the difference as long as it works?

3422 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
what do you mean “Poor coding”? What is your idea of poor coding? For example. there are lots of ways to code something. There can be 3 or more ways to code anything is any language, but if all three of them work, what is the difference as long as it works?

There are all sorts of things that might make code “bad”, even if it “works”. For example:

• Inefficiencies – it might take up more resources (time and memory) than it needs to
  • Conflicts – if code, especially for WordPress, isn’t written with other plugins, etc in mind, it might not “play well with others” and cause problems for users
  • Commenting – good code is well commented. If no one can make sense of your code, it’s hard to work with
  • Flexibility – a piece of code might work under certain circumstances but not others (perhaps with hard-coded paths, or assumptions about directory structures, for example).
  • Bloated code – writing more code than is necessary to get the job done can slow down page loads with client-side code (like JavaScript) due to file sizes
  • Not adhering to a language’s standard coding practices can also make your code less usable

That’s just off the top of my head. There are many more I’m sure. There may be many ways to write a function/script/snippet. Sometimes these functions are equal in their “goodness/correctness”, but sometimes one is better than another in efficiency, style, usability, etc. It doesn’t need to be perfect, but just because it “works” doesn’t mean it’s “good”. Writing clean, efficient, elegant code makes everyone happy :) (okay or at least me)

3069 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

So… when this bs rule with javascript fallback is going to end?
When will Themeforest be ready for other types of templates? It looks pretty dumb to see 5 million templates that look almost the same, the main difference being made by colors and artwork + wow, the color picker!!
On today’s web this rule is almost as stupid as the fact that I can’t post this forum message without having js enabled.
Let this be the buyers choice, not yours!

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+7 more
jremick Staff says

So… when this bs rule with javascript fallback is going to end?
When will Themeforest be ready for other types of templates? It looks pretty dumb to see 5 million templates that look almost the same, the main difference being made by colors and artwork + wow, the color picker!!
On today’s web this rule is almost as stupid as the fact that I can’t post this forum message without having js enabled.
Let this be the buyers choice, not yours!

Making sure the template/theme doesn’t fall apart (visually) without JavaScript is a basic part of development that every good developer just does on the fly while creating their template. It hardly takes any time at all so it’s really a minor request.

As far as the designs ThemeForest accepts, it’s all up to the authors. We can’t force people to design highly unique items all the time, but you’re welcome to submit your own. We also can’t entirely limit many of the templates we’re accepting now simply because they use the same layout and similar features. With the number of authors we have, it’s just a statistical fact that templates will have many similarities, separated by the graphics.

139 posts Get in the spotlight
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Halloween Competition Winner
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FamousThemes says

Hello,

I am having a problem with javascript fallback functionality on a single page template with multiple tabs. Basically you need javascript to navigate thrue tabs content using some drag animation.

I have in mind 2 options:

1) to redirect the browser to a full static page if javascript is disable using:

noscript

meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”2; URL =nojs.html”

/noscript

The page with no js it will use a simple html links navigation to go thrue tabs.

2) Just make the first tab look good and accessible to users. Ofcourse users will not be able to navigate to other tabs content. This will require modifications to my existing CSS files, or load other CSS files for this situation using noscript.

What do you think I should do, option 1 ? or is just enough option 2.

Thanks.

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
VisualSharing says

@FamousThemes: That’s a classic case for a simple javascript fallback functionality. The solution is to use CSS Tabs (Google it for more info).

by
by
by
by
by
by