• Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Hey authors,

As there has been more comments lately than usual in regards to the review process, I’d like to take a moment to get some feedback before taking some steps to improve the process as far as I’m involved. So, now’s a good time to respectfully give me your suggestions on ways for me to improve the review process on my end.

There will always be authors who are unhappy with reviews, as it’s always frustrating to have your hard work rejected. However, I’m always interested in improving my review process for the betterment of the community and sanity of authors.

From what I’ve heard recently, authors want…

1. More direct feedback (not so vague)
  2. A bit more specific reasons as to why a submission is being rejected
  3. Some authors would like more team reviews (to help prevent subjective reviews)

Also, do you all think a tightening of design quality standards in the site templates category would be a good thing? This would, of course, need to be approved my Mark before being put into action, but I’d like to see what you guys think.

Anyway, just trying to get your (author) thoughts so I can take steps to do my job in a way that satisfies both the requirements of ThemeForest and the expectations of you guys. I love this community and just want to make it better. :)

- -

A few notes for any new authors, or just reminders to other authors.

1. You’re always welcome to request a team review.
  2. Please don’t contact me directly as support requests are supposed to go through the support system for logging and other purposes. It protects both the author and the reviewer.
  3. Please be respectful to your reviewers in the forums (swear at me all you want in your support requests). Believe it or not but we do love this community and just want to do right by everyone.
  4. I’m always open to suggestions and new ideas, but remember that presenting them in a constructive manner is the correct way to approach the situation.
  5. [Important] If this thread gets off topic, disrespectful or out of hand, the moderators will lock/close it, which doesn’t help anyone. So, let’s try to have a constructive discussion.

That’s it for now, thanks!

2323 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

+ 100 on the “tightening of design quality standards”

951 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Daan says
  • A bit more specific reasons as to why a submission is being rejected
  • Not yet on Themeforest, but a while ago on CodeCanyon I submitted an item. The item was rejected because it could lack one of 3 things. As far as I was concerned my item had all of those things, so I replied to the reviewer with the question why exactly my file was rejected, and I still didn’t get an answer.
    So yes, being more specific would help.

I agree with Mark on the quality standards.

303 posts
    • Power Elite Author
    • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
    • Has been a member for 4-5 years
    • Exclusive Author
    • Referred more than 2000 users
    +2 more
    ThemeGoods says

“tightening of design quality standards”

Absolutely agree.

444 posts
    • Bought between 1 and 9 items
    • Exclusive Author
    • United Kingdom
    TahaH-Studio says

Not an author yet, but I agree

1799 posts
    • Has been a member for 6-7 years
    • Germany
    • Exclusive Author
    • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
    • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
    BroOf says

I think you can’t really tighten the design standards. Sure there are things which just look not okay but every design is different and you can’t use one pattern for all designs.

Correct me if I am wrong.

308 posts
    • Elite Author
    • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
    • Exclusive Author
    • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
    • United States
    brainbuzzmedia says

More specific feedback for sure. Also, (not you in particular) but don’t make it sound like our work is hopeless with copy / paste comments like “Lacks the quality for themeforest” when in reality it is just a few minor changes away from being accepted.

960 posts
    • Exclusive Author
    • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
    • United Kingdom
    jeffeatworld says

You know, it blows my mind how awesome some of the designs on here that I’m not sure you can get any tighter lol.

I do agree on the more feedback part though, but then that’s down to the reviewers because the feedback I’ve had is alway sgood – i think Jared even posted me a screenshot with the issue, I mean that’s pretty easy to act on lol

I’m pleased this thread has started though, I’d love to hear what buyers think.

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
    • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
    • Elite Author
    • Referred between 50 and 99 users
    • Exclusive Author
    • United States
    +1 more
    PixelBin says

I’ll take your +100 and add another 798 to it.

Some themes are just… ehhh. Honestly, if youre theme gets 10-20 sales in 3+ months, it doesn’t deserve to be on Theme Forest. Some themes have been up for over a year now and haven’t broken 10 sales. That’s saying something—in fact, they should be deleted, but let’s save that for another thread.

If your decision is stuck between accepting and not, you probably shouldn’t accept it.

415 posts
    • Bought between 1 and 9 items
    • Europe
    • Exclusive Author
    osigrandi says

I think the rejection email should, at least in some cases, be worded differently. Instead of the does not meet the high quality standards maybe write the real truth, such as based on our experiences so far, we don’t think your item would sell well.

I think such a phrasing would prevent a lot of the ‘hurt feelings’ posts and would make authors realize that this is not a design gallery of exposing one’s artistic flair, but a site where item marketability takes priority.

We all know that there is a certain design layout proven to work and most of the themes accepted lately are in that format, however, it may just be the summer, or the market really is saturated.

‘Increasing quality standards’ is so subjective, I just hope it will be applied impartially. I don’t want to be mean, but there are at least 2 themes right now on the homepage which quite honestly are subpar to put it gently.

Which can be a good thing I guess, because one gets to make comparisons such as “this item is so much better than the other, i’m buying it right now”, but what if one of the rejected designs would’ve actually sold better instead of the 1-2 subpar ones accepted?

There’s luck/chance involved as well….

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by