629 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VagrantRadio says

My 2 cents.

There needs to be more reviewers at once instead of one person. A review of peers would be great, a group of authors that know what they are talking about offering a more diverse opinion as opposed to one set of eyes and it’s either through or denied with a vague explanation.

Let’s face it, Envato needs to hire more reviewers. You make a killing off these marketplaces, hire some help and get them through faster as well as giving more time to inspect and review things like code, structure and documentation.

There’s too many themes that look exactly like the last one and many I see on the front page that make me go “who the f accepted that?”

We need some diversity and some quality standards bumped up not only in design, but also in code and standards around here.

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
PixelBin says

Hiring more reviewers would be a huge step in the right direction. Not doing so is just greedy because the revenue from these marketplaces is immense.

585 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
Bebel says

First: I got a few items rejected with screenshots of my design and arrows pointing to things that didn’t look good – this was an incredible help for me as a designer to work on things to make it right for the marketplace.

On raising the bar: I’m not sure if that’s the right thing to do at the moment as many authors improved a lot after their first (not so good looking) themes! But you could be more serious about not approving same looking themes over and over again :D or at least: if they look similar ask for better code or a very specific feature other items don’t have.

Another suggestion: reward unique templates with more percentage!! Seriously! Our “unique” traveler template gets great comments but no freaking sale :D We will never do such a unique layout again – just not worth the effort :D

There needs to be more reviewers at once instead of one person. A review of peers would be great, a group of authors that know what they are talking about offering a more diverse opinion as opposed to one set of eyes and it’s either through or denied with a vague explanation.

I like the idea. You could hire some “light” reviewers who only kick out stuff that defenately won’t make it trough because they are very bad so the queque runs more quickly and the “real” reviewers have more time to give indepth support to those themes that just need improvements.

another idea would be to reward authors for “perfect” submissions. For example: If author A creates 5 themes in a row that get accepted on the first try because layout is great, code is great, help file is great, author A gets the “pefect submission” badge :-) That would make authors think twice before uploading a theme, making them tweak and improve the template to the highest standard possible to get a “silver- gold- plutonium-perfect submission badge”. That way you guys don’t have to teview so many templates that need improvements here and there. I’m sure it helps: We uploaded many times before our first html template was approved for sale, making jremick crazy :D

just my 2 cents

1878 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says
Hiring more reviewers would be a huge step in the right direction. Not doing so is just greedy because the revenue from these marketplaces is immense.

+1000, especially for updates. New items are full of small bugs and buyers are mad and waiting for the update for a few days sometime. So this would do some good for buyers, not just authors ;)

Otherwise I can’t really suggest much more, I have been very happy with the reviewing process of new items so far.

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

+1000, especially for updates. New items are full of small bugs and buyers are mad and waiting for the update for a few days sometime. So this would do some good for buyers, not just authors ;)

For me, this is my only complaint, as well. The update process seems to be too slow, as there’s not much actual reviewing going on, it’s more of a simple approve. But you still need to wait for your category’s one reviewer to sit down at his computer and go through the queue. Which often are a couple days apart from each other. It just makes it very difficult the first few days you have a theme up.

4911 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Some good suggestions here guys, but I would like to point out a few things.

1. Hiring more reviewers will not benefit anything besides speed

Yes, having more reviewers may increase the time in which an item is reviewed. But we already have some of the fastest review times in the industry, and I don’t think speed on new items is currently an issue.

Having more reviewers per section will not increase consistency. If anything, it will decrease it. Coming from VideoHive, where up until last week was run by one reviewer, I know that the less people looking at a section the more consistent the section is. Only because if there’s only one guy per section. That guy has seen every file that came in, and knows if something looks similar.

Regarding a second set of eyes, we do have three reviewers. And while they work on their own sections, if one thinks a file could use another review, the file is held and the review team jumps the boundary of their section to check it out. Adding a peer review to every file would significantly increase the amount of time it takes to get your file reviewed. And we all know what happens when the review process takes too long.

2. Providing more feedback with item reviews

I see this issue arising often, not just for ThemeForest, but for all marketplaces. The problem is that with more feedback comes longer queues. And as the review team has mentioned before, its not their job to teach authors how to design or develop. Its their job to determine if a file is suitable for our library. If a file is on the edge, they will, tell you what you can do to get it accepted. But if a file needs a lot of work, they shouldn’t need to explain every element of design fundamentals to get your file accepted. It sounds harsh, and I don’t want to be harsh.. But it is the truth.

3. File updates

The speed at which file updates are checked is important. Especially if an author has buyers that are waiting for the update in order to purchase the file. I will come up with some sort of plan and get this worked out ASAP .

922 posts
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says
+ 100 on the “tightening of design quality standards”

+1

1878 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

Thanks Mark! I completely agree with everything you’ve said and looking forward to the solution of #3 which is the most needed imho.

1028 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says
Thanks Mark! I completely agree with everything you’ve said and looking forward to the solution of #3 which is the most needed imho.

Ditto! +1

76 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
duane_ashworth says
Some good suggestions here guys, but I would like to point out a few things.

1. Hiring more reviewers will not benefit anything besides speed

Yes, having more reviewers may increase the time in which an item is reviewed. But we already have some of the fastest review times in the industry, and I don’t think speed on new items is currently an issue.

Having more reviewers per section will not increase consistency. If anything, it will decrease it. Coming from VideoHive, where up until last week was run by one reviewer, I know that the less people looking at a section the more consistent the section is. Only because if there’s only one guy per section. That guy has seen every file that came in, and knows if something looks similar.

Regarding a second set of eyes, we do have three reviewers. And while they work on their own sections, if one thinks a file could use another review, the file is held and the review team jumps the boundary of their section to check it out. Adding a peer review to every file would significantly increase the amount of time it takes to get your file reviewed. And we all know what happens when the review process takes too long.

2. Providing more feedback with item reviews

I see this issue arising often, not just for ThemeForest, but for all marketplaces. The problem is that with more feedback comes longer queues. And as the review team has mentioned before, its not their job to teach authors how to design or develop. Its their job to determine if a file is suitable for our library. If a file is on the edge, they will, tell you what you can do to get it accepted. But if a file needs a lot of work, they shouldn’t need to explain every element of design fundamentals to get your file accepted. It sounds harsh, and I don’t want to be harsh.. But it is the truth.

Mark , I kind of feel that your second point contradicts your first, if there were more reviewers providing better answers (not holding someone’s hand , but at least points out what was wrong in what places) then the queue times would be around the same.

While it’s not the reviewers job to get right in and dissect and document everything thats wrong with a submission, in all fairness to the time that has been invested and the time that should be invested in the review then a better set of answers should be given , currently it’s only in points of design / development interest, but it would be better if these points were given along with an explanation as to where these problems have occurred ( what’s gone wrong and where) so that it helps the designer / developer rather than infuriating them.

I’m not sure whether reviewers understand this , but I do believe that in some cases submitters are generally blind to any problems that may be included with their submission , this should be obvious seeing as they have submitted it as a completed work.

To be told (in a very general way) that there’s something wrong often confuses the submitter especially if they have sought prior review by their peers and find that the one point of acceptance believes otherwise.

I also believe that some good could be bought if Themeforest was to provide some form of guide as to the types / themes of templates that would be worthwhile to submit, while the library is constantly evolving it would go someway to getting some different forms of templates/ scripts/ sites that would provide better diversity and improve the standard of submissions.

by
by
by
by
by
by