• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+3 more
Pdesignx says

can someone tell me the benefits of using Flex instead of Flash IDE ?

flex applications seem to look like same, with that bluish background, clock preloader and same components etc… i hate it’s visuality.. isn’t it possible to make it like the way you do in Flash or authors just dont do it out of being lazy?

i know i am using AS2 and AS3 for a long time, don’t judge me.. but what’s the aim of flex? did it just came out because they released AS3 before they could release Flash IDE that supports AS3 ? so some generation had to use it with Flex / Flash Builder using mxml or what ever it is (:

best regards

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+1 more
RimmonTrieu says

In short, flex is framework, flash is platform

Flex is used for rapid application development, since it was built on top of Flash’s core library you can build same app without Flex but will take longer time.

Flex is code oriented while Flash is designer friendly.

Flex is skinable and can be redesigned pretty much everything with all its component.

It’s actually not precise to compare Flex vs Flash since Flex is built on top of Flash, Flex is Flash itself with more tool and toy mainly for developer.

In html/js world Flex is similar to Dojo toolkit, google GWT ..

556 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
ThemeScience says

Although we have many good things to say about both , we would like to share this article from FlashMagazine Why Flash Developers should care about Flex

In my opinion this article explains the difference pretty well. Once you get to know flex, its almost just like HTML /CSS/JS, except its MXML ,CSS,AS3.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

I still don’t understand how the extra file size benefits the customer when the same file could be made in Flash IDE .

27 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
Grahf says

RimV said it best, Flex is a framework. Just like frameworks in other languages it just makes things easier and faster.

What it really comes down to is the IDE , so ask yourself: do you like to code or design? I’m a developer, a coder and therefore I use Flex.

Now even if you are more of a designer, but still write a lot of code, you can use both to your advantage, because believe me coding in the Eclipse IDE will make your life much easier. For those who don’t know Flex / Flash Builder uses the Eclipse IDE .

@CrackerJack File size is irrelevant; if you feel your file size is too large after compiling it in Flex then you probably don’t fully understand the components you are using in your application. Me, I tend to avoid or remake components or classes that simply do too much stuff I don’t need. You don’t have to use what a framework gives you. Make your own components that can be reused just the same. For example, in a recent project of mine I could have just used the standard dropdown list component, but I chose to make my own. It did just what I wanted, looked just as I liked, and customizable in just the ways I needed it to be. Lastly I should point out Flex 4’s SDK has a much better compiler than previous versions when it comes to speed and optimizations including reducing the file size.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

@CrackerJack File size is irrelevant;

Tell that to the customer. 700kb to a comparable Flash IDE swf that would be 50kb. I understand that Flex is a powerful tool. But because of the increased file size, I do not believe it should not be used for small business website components like news readers, galleries, etc. Instead it seems more appropriate for complex web apps when extra loading time is expected by the user.

27 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Grahf says

Tell that to the customer. 700kb to a comparable Flash IDE swf that would be 50kb.

50kb to 700kb says to me that one was not optimized for the environment it was compiled in. That’s quite obvious even when knowing nothing of the application or what it does. There is nothing in Flex that causes large file size differences like you describe.

There are many things I could list that could bring the file size down, but a big one every Flex developer should know is when you’re ready to release a final build of your application you should compile using the release build option, which will dramatically reduce the file size compared with the normal debugging builds that are just for quick compiling and testing.

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

I never used flex so far. I too had the impression that flex adds too much file size regardless of components used. From looking at activeden’s flex files, it seems some authors really reduced their file size (similar to Flash IDE compiled swfs) and others left with around 700kb or more than an 1mb. So it depends on developers working habits / knowledge.

556 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
ThemeScience says

It actually takes a bit of time to optimize the code,and break the style into seperate .swfs.

But one of the things flex is good for, is making applications modular. So by making the app modular it actually can reduce the file size quite a bit.

We have a couple Flex AS3 projects that are only 50k, but they are pure AS3 , no mxml.

There is also a way to load Shared Libraries at runtime, instead of merging them. This reduces an applications size by 500kb. But there is a little bit longer load time, when compiling that way.

Flex is extremely powerful,and its component base is very robust compared to Flash. Plus its just easier to a Coder/Developer to fully wrap your head around the methodology.

128 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
ram64 says

can someone tell me the benefits of using Flex instead of Flash IDE ?

If you’re referring to it as a developer then Flex is better than Flash because of the strong code editor, profiler, debugger and so on. If you refer to it as a designer Flash is better because all the drawing tools.

flex applications seem to look like same, with that bluish background, clock preloader and same components etc… i hate it’s visuality.. isn’t it possible to make it like the way you do in Flash or authors just dont do it out of being lazy?

If you’re talking about Flex applications that use MXML than they do look the same and have large compiled size but the style can be changed and size reduced. If you want small file size and start with Flash stage color you can just create an AS3 project. That way you will have the same file size as in Flash but you’ll have to work only with classes and no library panel. Again, if you’re a developer and you’re used to work with classes this will be a better option for you.

P.S. To style the SWF like you do in Flash with the Document Properties window you can use the [SWF] metadata tag.

by
by
by
by
by
by