178 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
pixeljunkyard says
Hi I’m Max Guedy the designer behind Myows. Jonathan’s technique sure sounds good, it’s what I used to do, but it might be a mission for some.

The point of Myows, besides securely datestamping your files, is to be able to have all your copyright-related documents in one place.

Plus as Jarel pointed out, if the person you’re claiming against has expensive lawyers, they will discredit most of the info you provide, as the dates of files from your computer could be tampered. That’s why you need 3rd party proof and our system has many backups in place (including a list of hashtags that are stored at our lawyer’s offices on a weekly basis) so that we can make even the loudest defense lawyer go quiet!

PDesignX – shareware sites distributing copyrighted material are illegal, I invite you to read about the Pirate Bay trial that happened last year. The owners received jail sentences and millions in fines. To quote wikipedia: “Peter Sunde, Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm and Carl Lundström were all found guilty and sentenced to serve one year in prison and pay a fine of 30 million SEK (app. €2.7 million or USD 3 .5 million).”

The way it works is that when notified of a copyright infringement with sufficient proof, the hosting provider is OBLIGATED to remove the infringing content or risk legal action. That’s what they call the “DMCA safe harbor”, and a Myows certificate along with supporting documents (like jonathan suggests) will be the sufficient proof they require.

Also trust me we have no interest in downloading your files, I don’t even know if it’s possible for us to do so without your unique system generated password (I’ll double check with the developers). We’ve worked on Myows for over a year before going live and really, we’re not stupid enough to jeopardize our venture by doing dodgy “behind the scenes” stuff.

This answers a lot of questions that I had.

Thanks for creating something like this. I’m sure we (AD authors) will be using the service pretty frequently, specially since lately a lot of our files have been popping up around the internet without our permission.

2541 posts
  • United States
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
CreatingDrew says
Well for people here at Envato, using Jonathan’s method sounds like a good idea. But Myows provides a professional look that may help persuade average people to not f with you. Btw, the business of freezing someone’s account and funds because someone simply makes a claim is way overboard IMO . I would hope Envato would at least make an educated decision based on the facts presented with the claim. Otherwise who’s stopping someone from maliciously damaging someone’s earnings and reputation?
Heya CrackerJack,

We don’t just freeze someone accounts from a simple claim. However, there are certain steps we must take when we receive valid and verified legal documents. We have to be very careful when dealing with any kind of legal matter/document(s). ;)

371 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
QwibbleDesigns says

Okay, so I’m going to be uploading my first template to themeforest within the next week, so what better time to start with some copyright stuff.

I watched the introduction video on the myows site, but still feel lost as to how I would upload a themeforest item that I’d created t myows, what license I’d choose, and so on. Is anyone able to clear such details up with me?

1549 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
dSKY says

Heya CrackerJack,

We don’t just freeze someone accounts from a simple claim. However, there are certain steps we must take when we receive valid and verified legal documents. We have to be very careful when dealing with any kind of legal matter/document(s). ;)

Can you please list and explain the steps , because right now it seems ridiculous disabling someones account.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says
I watched the introduction video on the myows site, but still feel lost as to how I would upload a themeforest item that I’d created t myows, what license I’d choose, and so on. Is anyone able to clear such details up with me?

I just did a screenshot of the homepage of a webiste and uploaded a zip with the source files. For websites this might be the way to go.

I think they’re working on getting some sample licenses up so until then you may have to add your own (unless you want to use creative Commons).

8 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
myows says
Okay, so I’m going to be uploading my first template to themeforest within the next week, so what better time to start with some copyright stuff. I watched the introduction video on the myows site, but still feel lost as to how I would upload a themeforest item that I’d created t myows, what license I’d choose, and so on. Is anyone able to clear such details up with me?

As CrackerJack said, you can upload your entire zip to Myows, then choose custom license and juste write “envato” and if you really want to keep a clear record, copy and paste the terms of envato’s licenses available from the wiki: http://activeden.net/wiki/support/legal-terms/licensing-terms/.

We are working on a “grab from URL ” function, but it’s not yet ready for release.

1 post
tanmaysnv says

The simplest way to check for duped content online is to plug your URLs into Copyscape. It’s a free search engine that takes the URL you supply it and does a nifty little content analysis to find duped pages on the Web. (If you want to pay a few bucks a month, they’ll check your pages for you, on a regular schedule, or let you construct automated searches via an API .)

70 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
ryguy says

Awesome service, great addition! I’ll be sure to let others know about this service, thanks!

by
by
by
by
by
by