1731 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gbs says

Or you could get a Pentax K-x with 18-55mm ($499) + 50mm f1.4 ($360) or a 50mm f1.7 (~$200). The K-x out performs the T1i and T2i, has an AF motor and in-body IS. The in-body IS means your lens investments will be cheaper since they don’t need IS built into them. You’ll also be able to use your M42 lenses with the K-x.

So overall, you’re getting more performance at a lower price (assuming you go with the f1.7 50mm, the f1.4 will be a little more expensive but a better lens). Plus, the K-x is compatible with lenses from 30 years ago that Pentax made. The selection of primes is pretty awesome.

;)

http://bit.ly/hrWudv (DxOMark comparison)

Note the larger pixel pitch of the K-x’s sensor and faster FPS capability.

Thank you for your advice. K-x is really a good choice. One small thing is there’s no AF Points displayed in the viewfinder and may be inconvenient comparing to other DSLR at same levels. If there’s more money in budget to spend, I think a K-r fix this well.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Thank you for your advice. K-x is really a good choice. One small thing is there’s no AF Points displayed in the viewfinder and may be inconvenient comparing to other DSLR at same levels. If there’s more money in budget to spend, I think a K-r fix this well.

Yeah, at first I was disappointed that it didn’t have AF display points but it doesn’t bother me any more. I had also read that it’s better not to rely on them and to see where the focus is in the image (since the points can be off sometimes). Personally, I think the lack of this feature teaches you to see the image rather than letting the camera see it for you.

Now that I’ve learned this, do I want AF display points? Yes. haha The K-r does offer this improvement as well. Although, for the price, you could easily jump up to the K-7 (used), which is a more professional level body.

1731 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gbs says

Yeah, at first I was disappointed that it didn’t have AF display points but it doesn’t bother me any more. I had also read that it’s better not to rely on them and to see where the focus is in the image (since the points can be off sometimes). Personally, I think the lack of this feature teaches you to see the image rather than letting the camera see it for you.

Yes, that’s the reason why I call it only a “small thing” . It doesn’t affect the way we create stunning photos, but it do help if somehow sometimes we don’t trust in our eyes :D . Remembering the time when there’s only 35mm film SLR , nothing digital, no AF, people still made incredible photos :D .

by
by
by
by
by
by