Welcome Window – Update Notification System and Preloader.
Size 80kb (but if you change the ‘moviestar’ font to something more simple the filesize can be as low as 18kb)
moviestar font available for free at ‘daFont.com’
NOTE – PREVIEW IS FAKED SO THAT WHEN YOU VISIT THE FIRST TIME , YOU SEE THE WELCOME PAGE , WHEN YOU VISIT THE SECOND TIME YOU SEE THE UPDATES PAGE , AND WHEN YOU VISIT AFTER THAT YOU SEE THE , ‘NO UPDATES ’ PAGE
If you want to test this several times, you will need to clear your ‘flash cache/cookies’ and you can do this HERE
:::3 in 1:::
This application is a 3 in one application,
1. A percentage based preloader (preview version is faked)
2. A fullscreen button alternative, where you ask the user upon visiting the site if they want to go fullscreen.
3. An update notifications system…
As a website browser i like to know when my favourite sites have been updated, this is usually notified using ‘news’ sections, however i feel that by doing this, the news sections become full of junk.
So i built this, it utilises flash SharedObject, more commonly known as a cookie. Upon visiting the site one of three things will be seen by the user…
1. If they have never visited the site before they get a welcome page, the text of which is html and is edited via XML . If required a scroller will appear for your text. You can put anything you want on this page if you wish, eg. if you would rather place an image on this page, it is easily done using the FLA .
2. If they have visited the site before but you have updated your site (added gallery images for instance) then the user sees a ‘welcome back’ screen and a list of the updates made to the site, and when they were made.
3. If they have visited the site before but you have NOT updated since their last visit, then the user sees a welcome back screen, that notifies them that there is nothing new to see, again, this text is easily editable via XML and can include html tags, and has a scroller if needed. You can put anything you want on this page if you wish, eg. if you would rather place an image on this page, it is easily done using the FLA .
easy to set up
easy to modify and can be easily customized to function as you wish
working preloader loads the entire website for you and when the user has selected a fullscreen or not fullscreen option the window animates off screen and the root timeline is advanced to frame 2 for your site.
A detailed installation/help file and plenty of code comments.
Flash cookies arent cleared with regular cookies, so even if your user has auto cookie deletion on, your site will still remember the user.
:::HOW TO USE :::
simply update the ‘updateLog.xml’ file with your updates as you do them and flash does the rest.
Users do not need to sign up to your site in any way shape or form to recieve these updates.
If you have any questions, please let me know.