The Spine XML Image Menu
July 23, 2009 FlashDen File of the Week
The Spine XML Image Menu is an image based menu with lots of flexibility that is straight-forward and simple, but also fun and creative. It scales the menu image items on mouse over and you can also choose to have a tooltip. On click, the menu will link out to a URL . If the stage is wider than the menu, the menu will be centered, otherwise, if the menu is wider than the stage, it will scroll left to right on the mouse’s horizontal position. It works great as a products menu that would link out to the specific product page.
The menu is XML driven and you can set the following things in the XML file:
– the background color
– the width of the menu items
– the height of the menu items
– the thickness of the border on mouse over of the menu items
– the amount of scaling on mouse over of the menu items
– whether the tooltip is on or off
– the background color of the tooltip
– the background transparency of the tooltip
– the image/SWF path for each of the menu items
– the tooltip text for each of the menu items
– the link URL for the on click of each of the menu items
– the link target for the on click of each of the menu items
So you can have as many images/SWFs as you want and they can be any size you want! Enjoy.
AS3 only. Opens with Flash CS3 .
Step by step instructions are included and code is commented. Also, two html files are included to demonstrate SWF embedding for both full browser and fixed size.